Serves 4 – 5
1 kg Rice (parboiled with few sprigs of mint leaves 2 cloves, 4 pepper corn, 1tsp shahjeera,1 small cardamon,4 tbsp salt, 1tbsp ghee)
1 kg chicken
2 medium size onions slice & fried to brown
Whole garam masala (2 cloves, 3pcs peppercorns, 1inch cinnamon, 1 black cardamon)
4tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 cup curd (whipped )
For the Paste:
2 tsp red chilly powder
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
2 1/2 tsp Coriander powder
1 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1 1//2 tsp salt
1/2 cup water
1/2 bunch coriander chopped
6 -7 mint leaves (Note: using excess will over power the flavour)
3 – 4 green chilly
2 medium size tomato slice 1 inch thick
1/2 tsp black pepper powder + 1/2 tsp salt
3 big spoon oil
2 tbsp pure ghee
few strands of saffron mixed in 1/2 cup of milk.
Prepare paste of the following masalas:
2 tsp red chilly powder + 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder + 2 1/2 tsp Coriander powder + 1 1/2 tsp garam masala powder + 1 1/2tsp salt + 1/2 cup water
- Add whole garam masala to the heated oil( used the same oil in which I fried onions).
- Now add in the prepared masala paste with water. Fry for a few minutes.
- Add in Chicken & fry for a minute
- Crush & add in the fried onion the chicken. Stir
- Add in ginger garlic paste. Stir continuously for a minute
- Remove the vessel from flame & add in curd. Stir again for few minutes.
- Mix in chopped coriander, mint & green chillies. Cook at a low flame till chicken is tender.
- While the chicken is cooking, cut the 2 tomatoes in 1inch slice.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a nonstick pan & place tomatoes.Sprinkle black pepper powder & salt
- When soft (but not mushy) on one side turnover & sprinkle black pepper powder & salt.Cook till soft.
ASSEMBLING THE BIRYANI
- First of all spread the 1/2 of the par boiled rice in a deep flat pan (I use a special vessel call Lagan for this process)
- Spread the cooked chicken. On it the prepared tomato slices
- Spread the remaining 1/2 rice. Pour over in circle the safron + Milk Mixture.
- Now pour the ghee on the rice & a brown onions
- Cover with aluminium foil & keep on Dum on low flame for 1/2 n hour.
- Dum: I have an old iron pan. Heat this pan on full flame for 5 minutes. Now slow the flame & put the prepare Biryani vessel on it.