Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone; it has to be made, like bread, remade all the time, made new.
Our March Baking Partners challenge made me curious to try out Muslim Naan using the Tangzhong method. Muslim Naan has its origin in Western Asia & is available in Gujarat & some parts of Maharashtra. It has a round disc shape. One can find many roadside vendors selling it during the month of Ramadan.Muslim Naan is cut into 4, 6 or 8 parts (depending on the size) & mostly eaten with meat or chicken thin gravy dishes. One of famous dish is Naan Qalia.
Lets get briefed up with this magical method of bread making with crusty top & fluffy inside.
A little about Tangzhong method:
Makes two 7″ Naan
250 ml/ 1cup water/ milk
3 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp milk powder
1/4 cup milk
120 gm tangzhong
2 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tbsp milk powder
- Mix flour in water well without any lumps. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring consistently with a wooden spoon, whisk or spatula to prevent burning and sticking while you cook along the way.
- The mixture becomes thicker and thicker. Once you notice some “lines” appear in the mixture for every stir you make with the spoon. It’s done. If you want to check the temperature of tangzhong it is 65 C/149 F.Remove from heat.
Note: The chilled tangzhong should return to room temperature before adding into other ingredients.
Method of Making Naan
- Combine all dry ingredients: flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast in food processor bowl with kneader blade.
- Whisk and combine all wet ingredients: milk and tangzhong, then add into the dry ingredients
- Knead until you get a dough shape and gluten has developed.
- Knead in the butter
- Keep kneading until the dough is smooth, not sticky and elastic. To test if the dough is ready, you might stretch the dough. If it forms a thin “membrane”/ window pan test, it’s done.
- Knead the dough into a ball shape. Place in a greased bowl and cover with a wet towel
- Proof till it’s doubled in size, about 40 minutes*
- After first proofing transfer to a clean floured surface. Deflate and divide the dough into two equal portions.
- Roll into 7 inch disc.
- Proof again for 15 minutes
- Now brush with milk powder,coffee, sugar & water mixture
- Bake @ 180C for 30 minutes
- Transfer onto a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Cut into 4 equal triangular parts.
- Can be stored in muslin cloth in a airtight container for 3 days.
NOTE: For Proofing: Pre- heat your oven to maximum temperature for 10 minutes. Switch off your oven. Now place the bowl covered with towel in the oven.It will be double in size after 15 -20 minutes. Same process can be adopted for second proofing.