Cardamom & Pistachio Pudding is flavored milk set using china grass or agar agar powder
This month for MFB challenge , the theme was to make a dish associated with Ramadan memories. Well when I think of one such dish, the varieties of thaals with different flavors of china grass come to my mind. This was a special sweet prepared only in the month of Ramadan.Sometimes , different layers with different colors & flavors were set together or many times it poured over flat tray and then cut with alphabetical stencils to form beautiful words. Yes people used to make variety of designs using the agar agar/ china grass liquid like writing Ramadan Mubarak or Eid Mubarak. This was mostly done while sending Eidi to a newly engaged girl’s house along with other gifts.
It is quite easy to prepare the pudding. Flavor the milk according to your taste. Use the setting agent china grass or agar agar. And done. China grass is mostly available in from of strips. I grind it into fine powder form for ease of use. To the recipe.
- 1 ltr milk
- 8 to 10 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp china grass powder/agar agar powder + 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Pure Rose water
- 4 pods of cardamom powder
- 3 tbsp crushed pistachios
- Prepare the thaal or mould to set the pudding. Sprinkle cardamom powder and pistachio all over the mould or thaal. Set aside
- In a deep vessel pour over milk with sugar
- Boil till 3/4.
- Mix together agar agar and water to form a liquid paste. Add in the agar agar mix to milk
- Simmer milk on low flame for 5 to 6 minutes stirring continuously.
- Remove from flame & add in rose water. Mix
- Pour the milk on the mould or thaal.
- Set aside to cool or till it solidifies. Refrigerate to cool.
- Cut in desired shape & serve.