Assala mo alykum & Welcome to last Chapter of Ramadan An Event to Share. This year when I started planning for this event, I was very skeptical whether I should do it or not. Reason being the things going around the Muslim world. I was feeling guilty , that while I am celebrating Ramadan , there are many innocent people who are going through so much. Then Kalim (my hubby) said you are spreading the good part of our religion. Islam is not what it has been portrayed. Our religion is full of rich culture and traditions. Do your part and just pray to Allah & his rasool that he keeps us on right path and eman till our last breath.
This year’s event has been full of surprises and meeting wonderful new bloggers and foodies. This last post was unexpected. I met Naheda from Jordan on instagram. Naana’s Kitchen is full of delicious dishes from Jordan. When I asked her if she would be interested in participating in this event. And the response was with loads of food pictures , asking me which one. I selected two of her recipe showcasing Jordan – Mansaf & Fenugreek. For our final post let’s celebrate a Jordanian Ramadan.
My name is Naheda Dahbour from Jordan. I am a mom of two beautiful boys and a daughter. I never took cooking classes before but I love to cook and prepare dishes for my lovely family and friends that’s why I began to teach myself using social media .
Every year all Muslims wait for the mercy month of Ramadan to experience a beautiful moment .We celebrate this month by putting out traditional lanterns & making special food like samosas, qatayif ,kunafa and so on. All the families gather around the iftar table to break their fast. and later go to the mosque to pray. In the last ten days of Ramadan, we start preparing for eid making traditional treats like mamool , date walnut cookies . I am sharing with you the special Jordanian recipe of Mansaf & Fenugreek
Ingredients of mansaf:
- 1 ball jameed( thick dry yogurt ball)
- 3 warm cups water for jameed
- 3 kilo lamb meat
- 3 cups rice
- 1 tsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- Mix of nuts (pine nuts & almond)
- Jordan flat bread shrak
Method of preparing the Mansaf:
- Soak the jameed in warm water and melt by hand until it becomes soft and then put it on fire.
- Add the meat after washing and cleaning, and let it mature within the milk for two hours.
- In the meantime, soak the rice for half an hour, then wash it and then toss it with a tablespoon of oil.
- Add the rice to the prepared jameed water. Add turmeric & salt
- Cover & cook until rice is cooked for 15 minutes or done.
- To serve: Separate the shrak bread in a tray, add the rice and the meat over it and sprinkle nuts
- Serve hot
- 3 cups semolina
- 1/3cup olive oil
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp fenugreek boiled in 2cups of water
- 2 tbsp of tahini to grease the tray
For Sugar Syrup
- 2 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- Few drops of lemon juice
- Prepare the sugar syrup & keep aside.
- For preparing Fenugreek, mix together semolina, sugar, yeast, olive oil
- Knead to make a dough using fenugreek water
- Ferment for an hour and a half
- Grease the tray with Tahina
- Spread the prepared dough on it
- Then bake for half an hour till brown
- Remove from oven and pour over the cool syrup on hot fenugreek.
- Cut into desired shapes & serve