Aish Al Saraya is a delicious bread pudding from Lebanon with exotic middle eastern flavors. Easy to make for a large crowd.
Aish Al Saraya has been on the top most list of my favorite cooled desserts. Easy to prepare. And such a succulent taste of natural rose water elevates the entire dessert. Leaving a lingering feel on your senses.In literal term , Aish Al Saraya translates as bread of the palace. And indeed this combination of bread & flavored cream transform this pudding and is a huge favorite at parties.
I have divided the recipe into three parts: preparing the syrup, cream & pan base for an easy understanding of the entire procedure. In about half an hour the prep of this dish is done. And you just have to leave it for few hours on fridge for complete setting. And you are ready to go.
Serves 3 – 4 ( 6″ rectangular pan)
Recipe adapted from Taste of Beirut & Archana’s Kitchen
I : Prepare Sugar syrup
8 tsp sugar + dash of water to soak sugar
1 glass water
1 tbsp natural rose water
- In a pan, pour sugar with dash of water.
- Cook on medium flame till u get the desired caramel color
- Remove from flame & add water. Note: Sugar will turn hard at this point. But not to worry.Put again the pan on the flame & cook till it has dissolved.
- Remove & add rose water. Keep aside
II: Preparing Ashta or Clotted cream
1 cup Milk
2 heap tbsp cornflour
1/2 tin condense milk
1 tbsp sugar (optional- add it if you are more on sweeter side)
1 tsp natural rose water
1 tsp orange blossom water ( optional)
- Mix together milk and cornflour.
- Add in condense milk & sugar. Mix properly so all the ingredients.
- Put on the medium flame and cook till thick but flowing consistency as shown in picture.
- Remove from flame & add natural rose water & orange blossom water.
- Cover with cling film & keep aside.
6 -7 Bread slices ( stale or fresh)
- Cut the edges of the bread and crumble the bread by hand or food processor
- Spread evenly on the dish as shown in the picture.
Pan with bread crumb
Caramelized Sugar syrup
Fresh rose petals (opt)
- Soak the crumbled bread with caramelized sugar syrup. Let it rest for about 10 minutes
- Pour over the prepared ashta.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate for few hours.
- Before serving garnish with crushed pistachio & rose petals. Cut into slices & serve.